Event Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Event Time: 10am-4:30pm (Check-in begins at 9am)
Location: The Ohio Statehouse Atrium, Columbus, OH
Cost: FREE but registration is required by June 22! Click here to register.
Make your voice heard and learn how to make a difference!
The Ohio Asian American/Pacific Islander Legislative Day is an annual nonpartisan event which convenes legislators and communities from across the state of Ohio to foster dialogue on the opportunities and challenges affecting Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders (AAPIs). Over 300 AAPIs will come together at the Ohio Statehouse to represent the voice of one of the fastest growing minority groups in Ohio!
Join us for networking with communities and legislators from across Ohio, as well as educational breakout sessions and legislative visits on policy issues affecting our communities, including Combating hate crimes, Mental health, Access to Workers’ Compensation for DACA Recipients and Undocumented Immigrants, and Gun control.
Learn how to make a difference from an inspiring AAPI Leaders panel featuring:
- Aftab Pureval, Hamilton County Clerk of Courts
- Ron Falconi, Mayor of Brunswick, Ohio
- Grace Pai, Senior Community Organizer, Midwest Region at Asian Americans Advancing Justice Chicago (AAJC Chicago)
- Zale Piepho, Co-organizer of Akron March for Our Lives
- Sam Shim, Vice President of Worthington Board of Education
Individuals of all ages, ethnicities, and occupations are encouraged to attend, including students! Free lunch and bus transportation will be provided to those who register by June 22. Please make sure to register online as soon as possible especially if you need bus transportation, lunch, or would like to participate in legislative visits. And please spread the word to ensure your local and/or ethnic community is well represented at the Statehouse!
- 7:30-8:30am Regional Bus/Van pick ups
- 9:00-10:00am Check-in & Networking
- 10:00-10:10am Welcome & Opening Remarks
- 10:15-11:15am Breakout Session 1 (Combating Hate Crimes OR Mental Health)
- 11:20am-12:00pm Moderated Panel with AAPI Leaders: How to Make a Difference
- 12:00pm-12:40pm Lunch, Networking with State Legislators/staffers, and Remarks from U.S. Senators and Ohio Government Leaders
- 12:45-1:45pm Breakout Session 2 (Access to Workers’ Compensation for DACA Recipients and Undocumented Immigrants OR Gun Control)
- 1:50-2:20pm Final Preparation for Legislative Visits
- 2:20-4:00pm Legislative Visits
- 4:00-4:30pm Debriefing, Closing Remarks & Networking
- 4:40pm Board buses/vans to leave Columbus
Please see this link to view the Legislative Day Position Papers for each of the advocacy issues !
Sponsored by the Ohio Asian American Health Coalition and the Ohio Asian American Pacific Islander Advisory Council
This page will be updated as more information for the 2018 Legislative Day is released!